Mir Osman Ali Khan, The Nizam of Hyderabad Deccan, erected the main gate of the Dargah Sharif in 1911.
High entrance that was erected by Mahmood Khilji or one of his successors. Before the commencement of Urs Sharif a flag is hoisted on top of this gate with grand ceremony on the 25th Jamadiulsaani for ushering the ‘Urs’ of Khawaja Saheb, which starts from 1st of Rajab (The 7th month of lunar Calendar)
On either side of the second Baland Darwaza in front of Saham Chiragh (courtyard lamp), there are two huge Degs (cauldrons for cooking food) fixed into solid masonry in which a palatable mixture of rice sugar, ghee (butter) and dried fruits is cooked for distribution to the public as tabarruk.The circumference at the edge of the larger cauldron is 10-1/4 feet. It cooks 70 mounds of rice, while the smaller Deg takes 28 mounds. One of them was presented by Akbar in 1567 A.D. The princes or the well-to-do pilgrims order these Degs to be cooked generally during the Urs period
On the west of the Saham Chiragh stands the magnificent building of Samakhana or Mahfilkhana (auditorium with darbar hall) which was built by Nawab Bashir-ud-Dowla Sir Asmaan Jah of Hyderabad Deccan in 1888-91 A.D. This spacious hall is 46 feet square with a gallery of 14 feet running around it. It is used for 6 days only during the annual Urs for religious ‘Mahfils’ in which Qawwali is the chief item of programme commencing at 11 P.M. and ending with Fatiha (a relifious ceremony) in the early hours of morning at 4 A.M.
Overhanging the principal eastern to the Shrine or Mausoleum, there is a handsome porch known as Begami Daalaan which was built in 1643 AD by Princess Jahan Ara Begam, the favorite daughter of Emperor Shah Jahan. The walls and the beautiful marble pillars of the Begami Daalaan were done in colorful gold in 1888 AD. Later on, the ceiling of this Daalaan was also embellished in gold with the money donated by a Muslim merchant of Bombay. This beautiful portico was used by the Begams or ladies of the Moghul harem during their frequent visits to the shrine.There are two simultaneous entrances to the Shrine through the Begami Daalaan. The doors of both of them are mounted with heavy silverplate carved in ornamental details. The tomb is of white marble inlaid with pieces of precious stones and is daily bestrewed with sandal-paste and Itars (perfumes). It is always covered with very costly ‘ghilaafs’ (coverings made of velvet and silk) embroidered with pleasing gold and silver tracings.
Over the tomb, there is a silver ‘chaparkhat’ (canopy) inlaid with pieces of mother-of-pearl presented by Emperor Jahangir. Between the four poles supporting this `chaparkhat’, there is silver `katehra’ (railing) with an arch towards the south. There is another outer silver katehra running around the tomb at a distance of about 2 feet. The devotees are led into this space to offer flowers and prayers over the tomb. The ceiling of the dome is covered by a costly velvet chatgiri. A peculiar kind of fascinating aroma prevails in the shrine which inspires the visitors with a spontaneous and irresistible urge for devotion and homage towards the asleep saint. As soon as one enters the interior of the shrine, he feels as if he is in the presence of some exalted soul or mighty spiritual king.
This Mosque was built by the Empror Aurenzeb the elder son of Shah Jahan who build the Taj Mahal.
Mazar Of Bibi Hafiz Jamal
The Mazar of Bibi Hafiz Jamal, daughter of Khwaja Sahab, is situated to the south of the Shrine. There is a small dome with a kalas on top of it. The doors of this tomb are plated with silver. The two enclosures situated just outside the southern gate of the Shrine adjacent to the tomb of Bibi-Hafiz Jamal bear the graves of some of the early descendants. The Holy Quran is recited by the devotees especially by ladies in these enclosures and the reward of this virtuous action is offered to the noble soul of Hazrat Khawaja Saheb.
The place where Khawaja Sahib stayed for a few days, when he came to Ajmer for the first time, has now been turned into a mosque called Aulia Masjid. It is made of white marble. Devotees use it only for recitation of Holy Quran and thanks giving prayers.
This small hall on the southern side of the Shrine was erected by Nawab Muhammad Ali of Arcot around 1800 for the comfort of the devotees. It is also used for the death rituals by Khadims
Baba Farid Ka Chilla
Is situated between Jama Masjid and Sandali Masjid in the premises of Hazrat khwaja Muinuddin’s Dargah at Ajmer. Along the left-hand wall, in the background of the Sandali Masjid there is a small gate which leads down to the under-ground cell in which Hazrat Baba Farid remained in a chilla (secluded prayers) for 40 days in spiritual communion with the Holy Saint of Ajmer.This gate is opened for public Ziarat (visit) on the night of the 5th of Moharram (the date of Baba farid’s death) every year when thousands of pilgrims visit the place from all over India to seek his spiritual benediction.
On the south wing of the Mahfil khana stands the Jama Masjid or Shah Jahani Mosque, which is a fine piece of Moghul architecture. All the 99 sacred names of Allah with 33 Quranic verses are beautifully inscribed in the mosque.
A King Of The Day
This man was a water man who use to supply water in the Goat skin. He was filling water in his water bags suddenly he saw a man is drowning in River Jamuna. He just throw him self and saved that man. That man was Mughal Empror Humayun Father of Akbar the great. He was drowning during his war with Sher shah Suri. After winning the battle he called that water man (Nizam Sikka) and asked what reward he wants for saving a life of king. The Water man asked that he wants the throne of india for one day, He wants to rule India for One day. King allowed to give him a throne for one day. He ruled on India for One day, His name was Nizam Sikka. This is the tomb of Nizam Sikka.
This gate too is situated on the western side of the Shrine adjacent to the tomb of Gaiti Ara. The doors of the gate are covered with silver metal. It is opened only four times during the year, viz twice on ids (for one day) during the annual Urs (for six days) and on the 6th of Shawwal, the Urs of Khawaja Saheb’s Pir.
This tomb is of Khawaja Moinuddin Chishty’S R.A. Wife.
Victoria Tank (Hauz)
In memory of Queen Mary’s visit to the Shrine, the roof of the tank was constructed by the British Government for the convenience of the worshippers
This Mosque was build by Mughal Emoeror Akbar the great. Who came to Ajmer from Agra to ask for a son to Khawaja Moinuddin Chishty R.A. When he got son he build this Mosque.
Langar Khana is a free public kitchen where about 5 mounds of barley meal is cooked twice a day and distributed to the poor without any discrimination.
It was the main sourse of water during the time of Hazrat Khawaja Moinuddin Chishty R.A. Till today this natural water has been used in daily use of Dargah Premise.